This cairn is on the site at Merbein's Chaffey Landing where Blandowski, the Victorian Government Zoologist, and his assistant Gerard Krefft, established a camp from April to December in 1857.
Aided by the Nyeri Nyeri people, who identified the area as ‘Mondellimin’, they assembled a large and significant collection of over 17,000 terrestrial and aquatic animals from the region.
The Mildura Rural City Council and the Merbein District Historical Society erected the cairn in 2007.
After one hundred and fifty years, William Blandowski finally received recognition as a significant pioneer in natural history collection and classification.
Blandowski also meticulously observed and recorded the daily life of the local indigenous peoples.