Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all MDHS meetings and excursions for
the foreseeable future are temporarily cancelled.
IRRIGATION HISTORY UNVEILED
On 21st November 2018, the double sided information boards which detail the irrigation history of the Merbein Settlement, were jointly unveiled by Chair of Lower Murray Water (LMW), Cheryl Rix and the Merbein District Historical Society (MDHS) President, Bernadette Wells. MDHS researched and supplied the information to LMW, which then facilitated their production and installation near the historic irrigation irrigation pump at Chaffey Park.
The Sunraysia Modernisation Project funded the boards and Assistant Federal Treasurer, Michael Sukkar, Mallee MP Andrew Broad and CEO of LMW all attended the unveiling.
OPENING OF MOSAICS ON CLUSTER BOXES THREE AND FOUR
Several MDHS members have been involved in the continuing Merbein Community Mosaic Project, facilitated by Lower Murray Water and Cultivator Inc. Attached to Cluster Box 3, these mosaic panels feature early pioneers, Elizabeth Fisher and E. J. Kenny. On the second panel is a 'mosaiced' collection of historic Merbein buildings and structures.
On 21st November 2018, many MDHS members were present, along with descendants/relatives of Elizabeth Fisher and E. J. Kenny for their unveiling.
The smaller Cluster Box 2 on River Ave now has the Cornucopia logo of the Merbein District Historical Society on one panel and a 'Blandowski 'image of indigenous life at Mondellimin, now Chaffey Landing, in 1857. This image includes several young boys playing a form of football, a year before Australian Rules Football was officially invented.
Our collection continues to grow. We are very happy that the Mildura Rural City Council has announced funding to refurbish what was previously the Merbein Community Health Centre on the corner of Box Street and Main Avenue. We are scheduled to relocate to this Mildura Rural City Council building in 2020. This new site will be complemented by the fact that is located next door to the Merbein Community Library Hub.
Re-erection of the Merbein State School Rotunda (shelter shed)
The Society is still pursuing the re-erection of the shelter shed at Chaffey Park. The shed, originally on the site of the Merbein Primary School since 1924, was saved from demolition by the Society in 2015.
In the next 12 months the Society hopes to have the shed re-erected.
On 26th August, 2016, MDHS members attended the presentation to the MDHS of the original brass plaque on the 1920 pump located at Pump Hill.
A Collection of the Mosaics on the LMW Cluster Boxes